Pages

04/09/2011

Highlights 32 + 33 + 34 + 35: Wedding, pineapple, tractor, ghostbusters!

Lack of posts might make it look like there haven't been any highlights during August. But on the contrary, August'11 turned out to be a month full of love, friends, parties & good stuff in general.
With these memories, I welcome the fall with open arms.


I went to Kurikka for the first time in my life - for a good reason: to attend the wedding of my friends M + H, which btw was fabulous, thank you again! But I have to say what a strange little city it is...here You can see the old Z Cafe, Z meaning Zetor the tractor. Here one could buy the most expensive hamburger in Finland with russian caviar and dutch duckliver. And the ones that bought it were the lucky winners of Hotel Pitkä-Jussi's roulette.


August was also full of gigs here and there! On Thursday the 18th lovely people from Circus Ruska organized a warm up party in Klubi, Turku for the annual Circus meets Burlesque club in Tampere.  I premiered my new routine Pineapple Dance, which tells a twisted story about the love between a woman and a fruit.

Here is gorgeous Gigi Praline (from whom I borrowed the photo)
with the pipesmoking pineapple, my companion.

The next day, I drove myself to Tampere to perform at the Burlesque Cocktail in YO-talo, produced by fabulous Mimi, Lafayette & Stella. It was a personal win, since I still have in fresh memory those unsecure feelings as a young art student checking cool boys playing in cool bands on that stage. And thinking I'm never going to be up there! Ha Ha!

Making the MANGOO music video (August 2011) -
Cinematographer Rasmus Tåg with the unknown evil - Photo by Niklas Laurin

No rest for the wicked - After sleeping most of the Saturday, I put on my demon mask and went to shoot a music video for a funky band Mangoo! I'm not going to spoil the surprise, but I'll give you a hint: Ghostbusters! Ectoplasm! Attic!
The Itty-Bitty Tease Cabaret by Kerttu Malinen

The one sure sign of the end of the summer was the final Kokonut Kult burlesque club. And oh boy, what an end it was! We had fabulous cast including Frank Doggenstein, Bent van der Bleu, Sir Willy Waterlily, Misty Carnifex and the brand new line-up of Itty-Bitty Tease Cabaret!

And finally, here it is: one of the most important collaborative projects between the Finnish burlesque performers: Burleskinstituutti! Founded by myself Kiki Hawaiji (Turku Burlesque) and Bettie Blackheart (Helsinki Burlesque), Burleskinstituutti is a guarantee of the quality of burlesque education in Finland. The fabulous crew of teachers, are all trailblazers in the burlesque scene of Finland and we do our best to salute the history of burlesque as well as to embrace the new wave!

And so should You!
XXX Kiki, Suvi & the gang




No comments:

Post a Comment